Friday 1 January 2010

New Year's Day

Friday 1st
I am continuing my letter at 4 in the morning! Would you believe I am waiting for Paul to come back from his cottage as we are to go out for a walk to the woods to see some deer that he knows are likely to be there. It may sound a little mad and I probably am a little squiffy but I have had such a good time this evening (last evening?) and don't feel in the least bit like going to sleep. The moon is quite bright enough to see by as it reflects off the snow which has fallen again and I am dressed up in my tweed suit and thickest jumper and Rosamund's boots and my overcoat. Paul has gone to change and is bringing me a woolly hat.
The party was very good indeed. I must try and remember what everyone wore. Lavinia and Brian were dressed as devils in red satin with long silly tails and little horns fixed to Alice bands. Harriet and Jane had similar costumes of medieval ladies. John was a clown, Elouise was a Christmas Fairy (she's quite big so it did look funny) and Henry was a Roman in a toga. Paul was a Beau Brummel, Alfred was Scrooge and Rosamund was the wicked witch but rather glamorous and not a wart in sight. There were about 20 other people but we all milled about quite successfully and Mrs Davey had prepared the most wonderful buffet, as we knew she would. I talked to all sorts of people and had some very interesting conversations. Quite a lot of kissing went on at midnight when we wished each other Happy New Year - the front door was opened so we could hear the church clock strike - but all very decorous. Paul got cornered by a young woman dressed as Goldilocks. Some first footers came up from the village and Rosamund had the coal ready for them. Most of the guests had gone by about 2:30 and I went and sat in the conservatory for a little bit of peace and quiet which was when Paul suggested this walk. He has actually mentioned it to me before but we hadn't got round to it, and as we were both wide awake and the night is so clear and bright and the snow so lovely, it seemed like the perfect end to the evening. Everyone else has gone to bed now and I am keeping a look out of the window so that Paul doesn't have to knock when he gets back - here he is.
Just quickly signing off before I post this. Lots to tell in next letter
Happy New Year
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment