Thursday 31 December 2009

New Year's Eve

Thursday 31st December
It is late afternoon and I am sitting in my room in the big armchair by the fire. I hope my writing is legible as I am using a book to rest the paper on my lap. The house is quiet for the moment as most of us are having a rest before the party - even Rosamund has admitted defeat and asked not to be disturbed for a couple of hours. After our early night last night we were all up bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. I had a hearty breakfast of porridge with some cream and fruit compote then tomato and sausage and a slice of toast and marmalade. Fruit juice and coffee as well of course. Rosamund and Elouise were already organising the decorations for tonight and Henry and John had gone off somewhere so to begin with it was just Brian and me. Lavinia and Harriet had their breakfast with the children and then were getting them ready for a day out with Geraldine and her two. They are to stay the night with her too and Jane is invited to the party which Harriet is really pleased about. Alfred spent all morning closeted away in his office although I noticed that The Times had disappeared so I don't think it was solely to catch up with his paperwork!
Paul arrived quite a bit later than usual so he was glad to see that there was still some breakfast left. Brian had nearly finished and so had I but it seemed churlish to leave him on his own so I had another cup of coffee and we looked at a crossword together for a while. He invited me to go for a walk and as I was at a bit of a loose end I accepted and we were out for nearly two hours. I can't really remember what we talked about - nothing like as intense as the other day - but the time flew by. It's funny, isn't it, how having known someone when you were young makes it easier to be friends later in life. He reminded me that I did spend some time there when I was about 14 or 15. It was in the summer when he had just finished University. I had got mixed up in my mind with the times when I was younger.
Lunch was a wonderful cold collation, as my mother would have called it. Mrs Davey and her sister were very busy preparing the food for the party so Jane Harriet and Mary had prepared it between them and a very good job of it they did too. Lavinia and I did our bit and washed up after lunch but I'm not sure we weren't a bit in the way really. We sat in the drawing room for a while but then we were in the way there too and gradually everyone drifted off to rest and get ready after tea
I shall start thinking about getting ready myself soon. I didn't tell you about my costume. Rosamund didn't impose a theme on us but did ask that no one wear anything too bulky, like a crinoline or such like, as she doesn't have the luxury of a big ballroom like Geraldine and people will have to move around between the rooms. The conservatory will be the "quiet" space, the drinks will be set up in the snug, the food in the dining room and that will leave the drawing room and library for chatting and the hall for any dancing as that is where the gramophone will be. My costume is an Egyptian Queen. I have a cleverly draped white dress with a very fancy gold coloured belt, a black wig and some arm bands and costume jewellery and some high heeled sandals which are not very Egyptian but look much better than flats would have done. I have some thick black eyeliner blue shadow and a little drawing to copy when I do my face. I also have a heavy stole which hopefully I won't need as the house is going to be very warm I think. I should get on really. I won't sign off as I don't expect to get out to post this until later tomorrow so I will be able to add my report on the party before I do

No comments:

Post a Comment