Monday 28 December 2009

Monday 28th

Mon 28th
Dear Cousin Edith
There have been a lot of comings and goings today. Brian had to go back to his office but will be joining us again tomorrow evening. Elizabeth and Alistair left this morning as they were expected at Alistair’s brother’s for the New Year and Elizabeth wanted to go home for a couple of days to give the children a break (and herself as well I wouldn’t wonder) It is a shame for them that they will have to miss Geraldine's party (by the way, I have been told I should call her Gerry!) Jane will probably be relieved – I should think it has been hard work for her with 2 extra charges to take care of. As it happens it was fortunate because little Ellen was taken quite ill at lunchtime and the doctor had to be called. He was reasonably happy that it was just the excitement and change from her routine but Jane stayed with her for the afternoon and Harriet was more than happy to look after the other two. Lavinia didn’t stray far from the nursery either.
Alfred had some business to attend to in the town and Henry and John went with him so, while Rosamund saw to domestic matters, Elouise and I took the opportunity to pay a visit to Geraldine to see if there was anything we could do to help with the preparations. We were made very welcome but banned from the big room where the party is to take place. Geraldine doesn't want the surprise to be spoilt for any of us.
I think I told you that she and Pierre had the house built only a few years ago and that it is very modern. The entrance leads into a square reception room from which rises a rather grand staircase to one side. There are double doors into the room they call the ballroom and a hall way down the side of that room which leads gives access to the sitting room, library and terrace. On the other side of the stair case is another hallway which leads to the kitchen rooms. The dining room is at the front of the house off the reception room. The outside of the house is very angular and painted white with smart black metal frames to the windows. On the first floor there is a balcony at the front of the house and at the back there is a sort of terrace leading from one of the rooms onto the roof of the ballroom. Then on the second floor there must be Geraldine and Pierre's studio as there are some huge windows to the northern aspect. She's very busy at the moment but sometime I would love to have a really good look round. The room she took us into was decorated in a pale grey, with vivid red upholstery on the chairs and a similar colour for the curtains. The rug was dark grey, quite plain, and there were lots of paintings on the walls, mostly theirs but a few in other styles. We had tea and some delicious home made cake but we were obviously "de trop" so made our way back to The Old Rectory quite soon.
On the walk back Elouise started to talk a little about John. She was concerned that I might have been becoming interested in him! I reassured her but had to be careful what I said, of course. I did mention that I thought he had been paying a lot of attention to Harriet but she dismissed this.
The house was very warm this evening so I wore my grey evening dress without a jacket. We had a fairly light meal, fish and a fruit crumble. After dinner we played bridge for a long time. Rosamund made us all turn and turn about with partners. Harriet does not play so John offered to stand down but Elouise insisted that he take her place. Maybe my comments earlier did have some effect after all.
When we looked at the scores at the end of the evening Paul and I had tied in second place. Alfred was first. I am sitting here in my room now, the fire is dying down and I really should go to bed but I don't feel very sleepy. I am looking forward to the party tomorrow.
I couldn't sleep and I couldn't find anything to read here so I went downstairs to the library to see if I could find something there. I disturbed Rosamund, who was sitting by the fire. We have had an interesting discussion but it's too complicated to explain. I want to get this posted in the morning so I will tell you about it tomorrow
My very best
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment