Tuesday 29 December 2009

29th

Tues 29th
We got back from Geraldine’s house about half an hour ago and although I am ready for bed, I really don’t feel like sleeping yet. It has been an amazing evening. As you know, all the ladies were instructed to wear only green and/or purple. When we arrived the gentlemen were all given a choice of green or purple bow ties to swap for their own black and when we went into the ballroom it quite took my breath away. The room is decorated entirely in white and the furniture is all black. I suppose in an artist's house it constitutes a "blank canvas". Rosamund had mentioned that when they have parties they choose a colour theme and dress the room accordingly. It was all green and purple, everything! The cloths on the tables, the napkins and table decorations, the ornaments and Christmas Tree (which was huge) even the glasses and tableware. It was a stunning sight and just magical with all of us dressed in the same colours too. I have to say that I was very pleased with my dress and I hope you will not be shocked when I tell you that I felt single again for the first time. What I mean is that I felt what I felt without feeling guilty about it. I don’t know if that makes any sense. I looked around the room once or twice and found myself looking at some of the men as I would have done before I met Frederick and catching sight of myself in the reflection in the windows and feeling good about what I saw. John did dance with me twice but he seemed to me to be always looking out for Harriet, which will rather concern Rosamund. Alfred and Henry did their duty and gave me one dance. Brian did not, as far as I am aware, dance at all with anyone, not even Lavinia, but some men are just like that, aren’t they! Paul spent quite a lot of time talking to him and I didn’t think I was going to see him dancing either but he surprised me by asking me to dance quite near the end of the evening. I suppose he feels safe with me. I have to admit that I had a little too much to drink over all and suddenly realised just how close I had allowed him to hold me. I managed to ease myself away again and I don’t think it was obvious. John was dancing with Harriet and I think he made some comment to her about it though. I can only hope that it will all be forgotten in the morning. Rosamund Alfred and I walked back to the house together. I think maybe I do need to get to sleep after all. I hope to write more tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment