Wednesday 30 December 2009

30th

Wednesday 30th December
Dear Cousin Edith
I have a nasty feeling that I forgot to sign my letter yesterday. I put it in the envelope very hurriedly as Alfred was going to the station and Rosamund wanted me to go with her in the car to the town that is near here, so that she could drop him first and then we would be able to take our time over her shopping. I must admit that I would have preferred to have a lazy morning. I was feeling a little the worse for wear after last night. I used to have no problem at all, partying and then getting up fresh in the morning at the usual time but I'm not used to it anymore.
Rosamund wanted me to help her with some last minute arrangements for the party tomorrow, and I still had to choose my costume, as it is to be fancy dress. We were most of the morning and everyone else had already had lunch when we got back. I had some soup and a turkey sandwich and was able to go and have a lie down for a while.
I went out for a walk later. The woods almost surround the gardens and it is quite easy to loose one's bearings if one does not know the area well. I found myself on the edge of the village and sat for a while on a bench by the pond. Then I went back again through some of the bits that I remember playing in as a child. There was the tree where we had our "den" and an old brick built store house which is just as overgrown as I remember it. I seemed to recall some fancy chickens pecking about there and a hen house and I poked about a bit and found what might have been the remains of a coop. Most of the snow has gone now but I made quite a mess of my shoes (the old brown ones fortunately) and got some mud on the hem of my skirt. Walking back towards the house I could see the lights in the windows and some of the curtains were not yet drawn and it looked so warm and inviting. I think I shall miss it and feel quite claustrophobic in my flat for a while.
I was pleased to find that I was not the only one suffering from the effects of the late night and everyone except Rosamund went off to bed quite early. The last day of the year tomorrow - I must think seriously about my resolutions. Last year I still didn't feel like moving forward but this year I think I can.
A very Happy New Year to you and Laura and Wilfred
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment