Saturday 19 December 2009

Last minute

Dear Cousin Edith
Thank you so much for your letter and gift which I received yesterday. I hope you will not mind that I opened the present; not because I am impatient, but because I thought it would be easier than taking it with me. And of course, now I will be taking it with me – such a very lovely writing case. The beautiful dark green leather looks very well on my desk and will, I am sure, look very fine when I am writing to you from the library at The Old Rectory.
I did some last minute shopping yesterday as I wanted to be able to take my time to find something appropriate for Alfred and Rosamund – something for each of them rather than a joint present. I bought a silk scarf for R with an abstract pattern in shades of yellow and grey picked out with black and a small gold thread running through parts of it and a cashmere scarf for A in plain dark red. I was also rather self indulgent and bought myself an evening jacket which is reversible, black on one side and a sort of rusty orange on the other. This will enable me to ring the changes at dinner with my black dress and the peach one that I bought for our last holiday before Frederick passed away. I know I shouldn’t worry about it so much but I do not want Rosamund to think that I have stopped bothering.
I have just about decided what I am going to take now so tomorrow I shall just take my time over breakfast, go to church of course, and then start packing the things that won't hurt being folded up for a couple of days extra. I am very well organised - Rosamund would be proud!
I hope to find time to write to you each day while I am away. I seem to remember that it was quite a short walk into the village so I will be able to post letters there, although, of course, there won't be a collection on Christmas Day itself. I think I will find it rather relaxing to "talk" over each day's events with you and as you have been kind enough to tell me that you are looking forward to hearing all about my visit it will spur me on to recall all the details.
It is getting late so I will finish now and post this on the way to church in the morning
My very best wishes to you
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment