Friday 4 December 2009

Shopping

Dear Cousin Edith
I had an exhausting day in town yesterday but I am very pleased with my purchases. I found a lovely bottle green wool day dress with a velvet collar and cuffs in that little shop I told you about. The bodice is a double breasted shirt style with lots of small glass buttons and the skirt is fairly straight but with a little kick at the hem. The fabric is quite plain and the whole effect is very understated and sophisticated. I like green as it can be accessorised with either black, grey or brown and I shall travel in my brown coat but take the grey as well. Then just round the corner I found another dress in an unusual woven wool material in shades of dark red with a little bright red and black. I don’t think I could adequately describe the fabric but the way it is done is very clever. It has a round neck and is quite plain with a self coloured belt and so the pattern of the weave does not seem too fussy. It is quite a loose weave which I think will make it warm but which may prove difficult to clean so I will keep that for Christmas Day.
I tried several pairs of walking shoes before I found some that were comfortable. They are an ordinary brown brogue with a small heel but I shall get plenty of wear out of them. My old ones bear witness to that! I’m afraid I allowed myself to be tempted by a pair of dark red court shoes too, to go with my Christmas day dress. Those have a high heel and a narrow strap across the foot and an interesting stitched pattern in the leather and I was persuaded by the charming young lady who served me to buy the matching handbag as well.
I had a very pleasant lunch in the tea rooms where Frederick and I used to meet. I can sit there now and think back over happy times without it making me maudlin and the staff seem to change so often that I don’t think there is anyone left who would remember me from back then. It was difficult when I started going back there as one or two people did ask after him but it hasn’t happened for a while. I always think I will try something different from the menu but I always end up having the plaice. Although my little kitchen has an extractor fan I don’t cook fish at home very often so it is a treat. I think I might go out for lunch more often next year.
Have I described my flat to you? I think I was very fortunate to find a serviced flat at such a reasonable rent but the one thing that I do have against it is the lack of natural ventilation in the kitchen. There is a chute for the rubbish, which does help, although in the summer the House keeper does have to be sure to clear it every day. The bedroom and drawing room both have lovely large windows with a view across the gardens and there are glass panels above the doors to give light onto the hallway. I hope that before long you will be well enough to travel to London and stay with me for a few days. The guest room is small but very pleasant and I think we would have a good time of it
Anyway, after lunch I went right in to Oxford Street to look for a suit and, much more fun, for an evening dress. I had a letter from Rosamund two days ago to say that her daughter has decided at the last minute to have a party for her 30th birthday, which is the Saturday between Christmas and New Year and we are all invited.
Margaret has made quite a name for herself as an artist, although I haven’t seen anything of hers that I like enough to hang in my own home. Her husband is a sculptor, also quite well known in some circles, and just after they were married was when that uncle of Rosamund’s died and the family came in to quite a good sum of money. Margaret was left enough to have a house designed and built on some land belonging to The Old Rectory which her parents had offered as a wedding present and I gather it is quite modern and unusual so I am looking forward to seeing it. But for the party we all have to wear purple, or green, or both. I don’t have anything that would fit the bill and I would like to be a bit glamorous for the occasion so I was a little extravagant. The dress I chose is a stunning purple, not too dark and made up of diagonal stripes, cut on the cross, of satin and brocade. It has an asymmetrical neckline with one narrow and one wide shoulder strap and the hem is a little off the floor at the front. And in the end I did buy another tweed suit. I know that we shall be likely to do quite a bit of walking and it is more comfortable I find. I have chosen something with plenty of colours in it so that I have enough tops already to go with it and won’t need to buy anymore.
I shall have to go again next week to buy some cards and a few presents, I was much too tired to do all that as well.
My very best wishes to you
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment