Monday 7 December 2009

My Flat

Dear Cousin Edith

Thank you so much for your letter which I received yesterday. I was very sorry to read that you are still confined to bed but glad to know that my letters have been welcome. I will certainly do as you ask and make sure that I give you a good account of my time with Rosamund.
You asked for some more details about my flat. The building has six floors and I am on the second. There are smaller flats on each of the first three storeys and then some larger apartments on each of the next two and two rather grand suites on the top floor. When I was looking for somewhere I hadn’t quite decided what I wanted so the agent showed me quite a few places and when we came to this building, which had only just been built, he showed me all three layouts. I liked the position but the top floor suite would have been too big for my needs and by the time I had made a decision all but this and one other on the ground floor had been sold. I had thought that I might move up if one became available but I am settled here now and very cosy although, as I believe I did mention to you, it would be nice to have a proper window in the kitchen.
If one was prepared to have the same carpet throughout it was included in the price so I chose a mid to dark green with a subtle shaded swirly pattern. In the sitting room I have a regency stripe paper in green and gold and I had my dining chairs upholstered in the same fabric as the armchairs which I bought – my other furniture would have been too big. That is a gold brocade which looks very well with the dark wood of the dining table and chairs and the bookcase and bureau and my writing desk. It is quite a large room and I think a rug would liven it up a bit but I haven’t yet seen anything that I like enough. There is a large window which looks out over the gardens which belong to the building and beyond are the gardens of the houses in the next road. The curtains are dark green velvet, floor length of course.
In my bedroom I have a paper of little pink flowers and green ivy leaves, a dark pink velvet for the curtains and the upholstery on the bedside and dressing table chairs and the ottoman and a rather extravagant pattern of large pink roses for my eiderdown. The furniture is all a pale wood and the whole effect is very feminine. I deliberately chose something that Frederick would not have liked. Does that surprise you I wonder? In my mind it was quite a significant step, moving on into my new life. The bedroom also looks out over the gardens with another large window. The sun streams into those two rooms in the morning and in the summer it lit up the gardens in the afternoon but now that it is lower and sets more in the South West than the West the building casts quite a shadow and I find myself drawing the curtains quite early
The kitchen is very well fitted out with a large sink, plenty of cupboard space, tiled work tops, a cooker and refrigerator and a small table that drops down flat against the wall when not in use. The floor is the typical black and white tile and I had the walls and doors painted in a light blue which works well with the fluorescent lighting which, of course, is always required. There is a rubbish chute and that seems to work very well provided the House Keeper empties it regularly. So far I have only had a problem with it once but the poor man was not well so it wasn’t his fault and he has promised to make sure that someone else deals with it if he is not able to. As it is a serviced building laundry is dealt with by the staff and cleaning too and they even provide light meals if one requires. I have found that very useful when I have been out all day and although the choice is limited the standard is very good indeed.
The bathroom and WC are basic but adequate, with the same tiling as the kitchen floor. They both have small windows to the side of the building and the paintwork is white. I am having second thoughts about that now so may change it next year.
The guest room (which I have to admit also functions as a dressing room) is papered with a blue and white geometric pattern and I chose a rather unusual orange fabric for curtains, upholstery and counterpane. The window is to the same aspect as the bathroom. I have my old wardrobe in there and just a single bed. It is an L shaped room so a little difficult to arrange, particularly as there is a door into a cupboard in there. I have managed to pack away quite a few things and at some time in the future I will have to sort through and make some decisions, but that can wait. As I think I said to you before, it would be easy to make it comfortable for a short visit.
You will think me silly but I have already started writing out my packing list for Christmas. I don’t want to take more than is necessary but on the other hand I want to have enough. Everything is hanging from the picture rail in the guest room, and laid out on the bed and I have come to the conclusion that I will need to look for another blouse to go with my new suit as I expect to wear that quite a lot. I shall take the black and white tweed as well.
I must sign off now as I am going out to lunch with Mary Gordon today. I don’t know if you remember her. I always enjoy her company as she is such a cheerful person.
Do take care of yourself
With my very best wishes
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment