Sunday 13 December 2009

Lunch

Dear Cousin Edith
I am sorry that I haven't written for a few days. I have been trying to get the Christmas cards done and find that it has taken me a lot longer than I had anticipated. I have already received two cards addressed to Mr and Mrs and I must admit that I wonder why I continue to send to people that I haven't seen for years and who can't be bothered to read what I write in the previous year's card. They get the address right so why can they not get the fact that Frederick has been gone for more than two years? Anyway, I hope you will forgive my little petulance.
I had a lovely lunch with Mary and she has had a very good idea which I am following up. She has a friend who has a flat very similar to mine and who has had glass doors put into her living room and kitchen to aid the light in both. I have written to the owner of the building to find out if there would be any objection but the House Keeper (Mary says I should call him the Concierge!)tells me that others have already done it and so he does not think there will be any problem in getting permission.
Mary and I went to a small restaurant that we have been to before. I only had a light breakfast so that I would be prepared for a good meal and a very good meal it was. We both started with soup of the day, which was a light chicken broth with beautifully prepared vegetables. I had lobster thermidor – an extravagance I know but not something I have very often – and Mary had duck with cherries. We talked for a long time and so both felt well able to tackle a dessert, profiteroles for Mary and chocolate pot for me. We also shared a bottle of Chardonnay and by the time we had finished our coffee it was nearly 3 o’clock. She has been married for 10 years now and has three children. The eldest is at boarding school but the others, who are only 6 and 4 are still at home and they are all doing very well. I feel that I ought to regret the fact that Frederick and I didn’t start a family, and Mary clearly assumed that I do, but if I am honest I am glad that I don’t have that responsibility. I do not dismiss the possibility of meeting someone else so it could still happen but I don’t really mind. I know many women think it strange that anyone could be anything but eager to have a family but it will not cause me much sadness if I don’t.
After I left Mary I took the bus part of the way home and then walked the rest to clear my head. I do love it when it is cold and crisp and there are lights in windows and, although I wouldn’t admit this to everybody, you can see in where the curtains have not yet been drawn. In a few houses there were already some decorations up. People seem to do this earlier and earlier. When I was little we never put them up until the week of Christmas and when I was married we always left it until the 23rd unless it was a Sunday. I shan’t bother for myself this year as I shall be away and Rosamund has said that she will be leaving the tree until the children arrive so that they can take part in dressing it so I’m looking forward to that.
Well, I shall sign off now and post this tomorrow when I take my cleaning in to town. I still have a little shopping to do for the trip and I have to plan my food carefully so that I don’t end up throwing things away. The “Concierge” will get some things in for my return so I need to let him know what I will need and I have three more letters to write and put in with the last of my cards. After this week my bridge club finishes for the holidays and I want to try and finish the book I am reading so that I can take two more from the library to take away with me.
I shall pack plenty of writing paper. Take care my dear
With the very best of wishes
Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment